From time to time, my wife and I will splurge and go to a local ice cream parlor. I normally get some sort of “buyer paralysis” when I look at the menu options. Besides the wide variety of flavors, you also have to factor in the add-ons like sprinkles, syrups, cereals, fruit, and much more. The choices are almost endless. It can be paralyzing.
Transfer this scenario to your local Bible bookstore (or an online store) and you are faced with even more choices. First, which translation do you select? KJV? ESV? CSB? NIV? NASB? NLT? NEV? NKJV? TLB? And the list goes on.
Once you’ve decided on a translation version, then you are faced with other choices within that translation. Do you buy a regular print or large print? Leather or faux leather? Hard-back? Paperback? Indexed? Not indexed? A study Bible with lots of notes, or a “plain” Bible? One with note-taking room? One with notes built in by the publisher? One with lots of charts and maps, or just the biblical text?
I thought that today I would share a few of the Bibles I own in the CSB (Christian Standard Bible). Perhaps this will help clarify some choices you have in case you are in a season during which you are about to upgrade to a new Bible:
- Pastor’s Bible – This great Bible has verses that are aligned left to make it easy for the eye to find a verse while the person is teaching or preaching.
- Notetaking Bible – Just what it says – there is a lot of room in the margins for my own notes. If you’re a notetaker, you’ll love this one.
- Apologetics Study Bible – The CSB Apologetics Study Bible helps today’s Christians better understand, defend, and proclaim their beliefs in an age of increasing moral and spiritual relativism.
- Study Bible – To inspire you to grow in your understanding and love for God’s Word, the CSB Study Bible includes an award-winning array of study resources including over 16,000 study notes, tools, and word studies—each tool presented on the same page as the verses it refers to. For both deep study and daily reading, the CSB Study Bible is the ideal resource for lifelong discipleship.
- Illustrated Study Bible – More than 1 million words of study notes by leading evangelical scholars and full-color illustrations, charts, maps, time lines, and photos. If you like eye candy, you’ll like this Bible.
- Disciple’s Study Bible – It features discipleship-themed study notes, as well as tools and resources like the F260 Reading Plan, introductions with outlines and timelines, full-color maps, and discipleship articles from the team at Replicate Ministries.
The CSB is highly accurate and a great translation of the ancient biblical texts, while being easily readable and accessible by modern readers. To read more about the CSB, click here.
Follow this blog for free and receive posts each week to encourage and equip you as a Bible study leader. Click here to jump to my home page and sign up in the right sidebar menu!